Skip Navigation
Detail Detail
This table is used for column layout.
Frequently Asked Questions
Where is the new police department?
We have moved to the New Castle Public Safety Building at 43 Main St.  The Police Department and the Fire Department share the same building which is located behind the New Castle Town Hall.

What number do I call if I want to talk to a police officer?
The best number to call to talk to an officer is 603-436-3113.  This will go directly to our dispatch center.  The dispatcher will contact the officer over the radio and the officer will call you back.  

Why did the Sheriff's Department answer when I called the New Castle Police?
The Rockingham County Sheriff's Department is the primary dispatch center for the New Castle Police Department. They handle all emergency calls 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. They also handle non-emergency calls after business hours.

Why do they ask so many question when I call the police?
Dispatchers are trained to try to get as much information as possible to best determine the nature of the problem and its seriousness. On emergency calls, the dispatcher has already sent the information to the officer while asking additional questions

Should I report suspicious activity in my neighborhood?
Yes.  The New Castle Police Department depends on citizens calling to report crimes or suspicious activity. The dispatcher who takes your call will ask questions about the activity to determine its nature and ask for descriptions of the people involved. You may be asked if an officer may contact you, you can refuse.

If I return home and find my front door open, should I go in?
No. Go to a neighbor’s house and call 911. If you return home and notice anything suspicious, broken window, open window, alarm sounding, or anything that you do not feel comfortable with DON’T GO IN. You want to avoid any confrontation with a burglar.

I’ve just been involved in a motor vehicle accident. Do I need to report it?
If you are involved in any type of motor vehicle accident (no matter how minor) you must stop and identify yourself to the other driver or property owner involved. If the damage to the other vehicle or property exceeds $1,000.00, or if someone is injured (no matter how minor), or if one of the vehicles involved has fled the scene then you must report the accident immediately.

Does the New Castle Police Department offer fingerprinting services for employment purposes?
There is a $10 fee for all non-criminal fingerprints.  You can come in daily at 2:00 pm (provided officers aren't busy with an emergency) or call the non-emergency line (603-436-3113) to schedule an appointment. Please bring your fingerprint card (supplied by your employer) and your driver's license.

What do I do if I lose electricity?
To report a power outage, call Eversource at (800) 662-7764, or go to the Eversource Outages & Storms. On the website are tips for storm preparation, power outage information, and important safety tips.

If you find downed power lines, stay away and dial 911.

Is school closed today?
Watch WMUR TV channel 9, or go to their website for a list of school closings.

I'm going on vacation, should I notify the Police Department?
Whether you are going on vacation for a couple weeks, or you are leaving your summer home for the off-season, we encourage you to complete the vacant residence form. This will give the New Castle Police valuable information in the event of an emergency at your home while you are away. For more information on keeping your home safe while you are away, go to the Crime Prevention page.

There is a seal on the beach, what should I do?
Under the Marine Mammal Protection Act, people need to stay 100 yards or more away from the seal. It is common to find seals on land, since they normally spend much of their time out of the water resting, sunning or sleeping. If you notice any entanglement or obvious injuries, call the New England Aquarium's 24-hour Marine Animal Rescue Hotline at 617-973-5247.

Am I allowed to have a camp fire on the beach?
Small camp fires are only allowed with a burn permit issued by the New Castle Fire Department. (All fires, whether on public or private property require a burn permit). Beach fires can only be on rocky portions of the beach only (NOT on the sand). The permit holder must be with the fire at all times. Fires must be extinguished by 9 pm.  For more information, contact the New Castle Fire Department.

Is alcohol allowed on the beach or the Great Island Common?
No. Alcohol is not allowed on any beach or the Common, at any time. If persons are found with alcohol, they are subject to a summons and/or arrest.

My car was towed. How do I pick it up?
Contact the New Castle Police Department for additional information.

I found an old box of ammunition while cleaning out the attic or basement. What should I do?
If the ammunition is small caliber and in a box, assorted cartridges, or rifle ammo, contact a gun dealer for information about how to properly dispose of it.  The department no longer accepts ammunition for destruction.  If you find large caliber ammunition, grenades, or an unknown type of ammunition – DO NOT MOVE IT.  Call the police to have it safely removed.

Website Disclaimer & Privacy Policy                 Town of New Castle, 49 Main Street, New Castle, NH 03854 (603) 431-6710
Virtual Towns and Schools