Great Island Common
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What time does the Common open/close?
The park is open from 9am – 9pm, 7 days a week, 365 days per year.
2. What does it cost to get into the Common?
Please see General Admission Fees.
3. How many grills do you have?
The Common offers 20 on stands. We do not provide charcoal.
4. Can I bring my own grill (gas or charcoal)?
Yes. No open fires. No charcoal provided.
5. How many picnic tables do you have?
The Common has 35 picnic tables. You can bring your own table and chairs.
6. Can picnic tables be moved?
7. How many picnic tables can be moved and placed together?
Maximum of 5.
8. Can I have a caterer?
Yes, gate fees are applicable.
9. Can I have a horse carriage?
Yes. Applicant responsible for clean-up.
10. Can I have a bouncy tent?
No, we do not allow bouncy tents.
11. Can I play horseshoes?
No, we do not allow horsehoes.
12. Can I use golf clubs?
No, we do not allow golf clubs.
13. Do you have electrical outlets?
No, we do not have electrical outlets.
14. Is music allowed?
Yes, but respectful to other guests and park attendees.
15. Can I bring my own generator?
16. When do the bathrooms open and close for the season?
Bathrooms open in early May and close around the second weekend of October.
17. Are there trash barrels?
18. What do I do with my trash?
The Great Island Common is Carry in/Carry out.
19. Can I have wedding pictures taken? And or wedding ceremony?
Yes, to both. Entrance fees applicable.
20. What is the water temperature?
The water temperature varies.
21. Are there sharks in the ocean?
Yes, it is an ocean.
22. When is high tide?
Twice a day.
23. Can I have a small tent?
Yes, the maximum size of a tent is 10’x10'. Boucny tents are not allowed.
24. Are any animals allowed?
Animals are not allowed in the Common from the third (3rd) Saturday in May to the end of September. No
animals to be left in vehicles.
25. Are “seeing eye” dogs allowed?
26. Can I rope a section off?
No, we do not allow individuals to rope off sections of the Common.
27. Can I rent a pavilion/gazebo?
Yes, please see the Pavillion Rental Agreement on our website. If your Pavillion happens to be occupied by
someone else, please see the gate attendant for assistance.
28. Are there trees for shade?
Yes. In addition, you may use umbrellas.
29. What type of sand does the playground have?
Washed sand and hardwood chips.
30. How many vehicles can the Common accommodate?
The Common can accomodate up to 200 vehicles.
31. How many buses can the Common accommodate?
The Common can accomodate up to 20 buses.
32. How many motorcycles can the Common accommodate?
The Common can accomodate up to 50 motorcycles.
33. How many bicycles can the Common accommodate?
The Common can accomodate up to 150 bicycles.
34. How many people does the Common hold?
The Common can accomodate up to 1,000 people.
35. Can I come in the Common early for sunrise and take pictures?
No, the Common opens daily at 9am
36. Can I have a church service?
Yes, we require reservations for all church services.
37. Is there an undertow?
38. Can I collect shells, rocks, stones?
No. The collection of shells, rocks and stones are not permitted.
39. Can I have a wedding ceremony?
Yes, please visit the frequently asked questions reguarding weddings on our webiste.
40. Can I make arrangements to pay for a group?
Yes, this can be accomodated by making arrangements with the gate attendant.
41. Can I use a metal detector in the Common?
No. The use of metal detectors is not allowed.
42. Can I take sand or seaweed off the beach?
No, the removal of sand and seaweed is not allowed.