New Castle, the only town in NH composed entirely of islands, covers approximately 500 acres (.8 square miles) and serves as a scenic residential and recreational community. New Castle was founded in 1623, chartered in 1679, and incorporated in 1693 during the reign of William and Mary. Today, in addition to a residential population of slightly more than 1,000, it is home to the Great Island Common recreational park, Wentworth-by-the-Sea Hotel and Spa, a UNH marine research laboratory, a Coast Guard station, and Fort Constitution and Fort Stark state parks.
Photos courtesy of Jim Cerny.
- Is your life disaster proof? See what you can do to help yourself during a disaster. Go to www.readynh.gov for information.
- To commemorate the hosting between the Town and the USS Providence, the sub committee hosted by Paul Hamblett, has purchased T-Shirts. At $15 a piece they are a great way to show your support!
- The USS Providence Submarine Committee will be hosting a bake sale at the annual town meeting Tuesday, May 10th.
- GAZEBO Concert Series: Sunday, June 19 at 4pm Mainesqueeze, Sunday, July 24, at 6pm, Littles Women the Musical, Sunday, August 7 at 4pm, Tuskerrmans at 9pm, Sunday, August 28, 4pm, The Portsmouth Brassworks Quintet.
- Please go to "Town News" to see the report from NHDES and the Notice of Standard Maximum Contaminant Level Violations
- The Underwood Engineering "Executive Summary" is available in the news section of this front page.
- GREEN WASTE DATES: May 7, June 11, July 9, August 20, September 10, October 15, November 19
- TOWN CLERK OFFICE CLOSED on Wednesday, May 18
Need to contact the town office?
- Phone 603-431-6710
- Fax 603-433-6198
- Great Island Common 603-436-1992 (Seasonal)
- Email Us