New Castle, the only town in NH composed entirely of islands, covers approximately 500 acres (.8 square miles) and serves as a scenic residential and recreational community. New Castle was founded in 1623, chartered in 1679, and incorporated in 1693 during the reign of William and Mary. Today, in addition to a residential population of slightly more than 1,000, it is home to the Great Island Common recreational park, Wentworth-by-the-Sea Hotel and Spa, a UNH marine research laboratory, a Coast Guard station, and Fort Constitution and Fort Stark state parks.
Photos courtesy of Jim Cerny.
- Is your life disaster proof? See what you can do to help yourself during a disaster. Go to www.readynh.gov for information.
- To commemorate the hosting between the Town and the USS Providence, the sub committee hosted by Paul Hamblett, has purchased T-Shirts. At $15 a piece they are a great way to show your support!
- GAZEBO Concert Series: Sunday, July 24, at 6pm, Littles Women the Musical, Sunday, August 7 at 4pm, Tuskerrmans at 9pm, Sunday, August 28, 4pm, The Portsmouth Brassworks Quintet.
- Please go to "Town News" to see the report from NHDES and the Notice of Standard Maximum Contaminant Level Violations for the second quarter in the New Castle water system.
- The Underwood Engineering "Executive Summary" is available in the news section of this front page.
- GREEN WASTE DATES: July 9, August 20, September 10, October 15, November 19
- OUTSIDE WATERING BAN - Voluntary. There is a voluntary outside watering ban until further notice. (Outside watering includes lawn and garden, car washing, and anyu other use of outside water). Insufficient rainfall is the cause for this ban. Notice will be given when the Ban is removed. New Castle Select Board
- TOWN CLERK's OFFICE WILL BE CLOSED ON WED., JULY 6. THE OFFICE WILL REOPEN FOR BUSINESS ON THURSDAY, JULY 7
Need to contact the town office?
- Phone 603-431-6710
- Fax 603-433-6198
- Great Island Common 603-436-1992 (Seasonal)
- Email Us