New Castle, the only town in NH composed entirely of islands, covers approximately 500 acres (.8 square miles) and serves as a scenic residential and recreational community. New Castle was founded in 1623, chartered in 1679, and incorporated in 1693 during the reign of William and Mary. Today, in addition to a residential population of slightly more than 1,000, it is home to the Great Island Common recreational park, Wentworth-by-the-Sea Hotel and Spa, a UNH marine research laboratory, a Coast Guard station, and Fort Constitution and Fort Stark state parks.
Photos courtesy of Jim Cerny.
There will be NO Town Clerk Office Hours on Monday, August 11, normal hours to resume on Wednesday, August 13.
GREEN WASTE DAY SCHEDULE : August 16, September 13, Octoboer 18, November 22.
Senator Ayotte's Staff will be doing an "Outreach Visit" on Thursday, July 31 from 9 to 10am (Town Hall). Please stop by with comments and or questions - Open To The Public.
NCFD - Invites residents and businesses to attend a presentation of Emergency Operations and Innovations, August 26, at 7pm
Rye Recreation Spring and Summer Program brochures available for New Castle residents.
ROAD RACES and other Events that will impact our roads:
- Tall ships arriving (Lynx and Mystic) at the state pier from July 30 to Aug. 1. Parade of ships begins at 5pm from 2KR to state pier.
- 2014 Bike MS Seacoast Escape Ride, Saturday, August 23 (cyclists)
- Granite State Wheelmen, Sept. 20-21 (cyclists)
- Kids PMC Challenge, Sunday, Sept. 28 (cyclists)
- New Castle Annual Road Race, Sunday, Oct. 12 (some streets may be closed for a brief time during the 5K) 10 to 10:20am
- Household Hazardous Waste Collection Day - Saturday, Sept. 13, 9am to noon, Highway Garage, Brentwood, NH for New Castle residents