New Castle, the only town in NH composed entirely of islands, covers approximately 500 acres (.8 square miles) and serves as a scenic residential and recreational community. New Castle was founded in 1623, chartered in 1679, and incorporated in 1693 during the reign of William and Mary. Today, in addition to a residential population of slightly more than 1,000, it is home to the Great Island Common recreational park, Wentworth-by-the-Sea Hotel and Spa, a UNH marine research laboratory, a Coast Guard station, and Fort Constitution and Fort Stark state parks.
Photos courtesy of Jim Cerny.
- Just a reminder: Please remember that green waste is NOT picked up on Thursday with the normal trash collecdion. THere are monthly "Gren Waste Days from May through November located in the parking area next to the Recreation Center where green waste can be deposite.
- WANTED: The Town is in need of a transcriber for the various boards in the town. Please contact Pam Cullen if interest in taking minutes for one or multiple boards at 603-431-6710 ext 10.
- To commemorate the hosting between the Town and the USS Providence, the sub committee hosted by Paul Hamblett, has purchased T-Shirts. At $15 a piece they are a great way to show your support!
- Please go to "Town News" to see the report from NHDES and the Notice of Standard Maximum Contaminant Level Violations for the second quarter in the New Castle water system.
- The Underwood Engineering "Executive Summary" is available in the news section of this front page.
- GREEN WASTE DATES: October 15, November 19 from 8 to 11am near the Recreation Building. It has been brought to our attention that many residents have been putting green waste out on rubbish day. Starting next Trash day, Thrusday, September 22, Oceanside will no longer pick up any green waste.
- EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY "NO" OUTSIDE WATERING -
- MANDATORY WATERING BAN.
- See Town News for details
- RYE Recreation Fall Programs are available at the Town Hall.
- Questions and solutions for food safety, gardening, pets and backyard problems: http://extension.unh.edu/Gardens-Landscapes/Education-Center-Information-Line
Need to contact the town office?
- Phone 603-431-6710
- Fax 603-433-6198
- Great Island Common 603-436-1992 (Seasonal)
- Email Us