Burn Permits

Cartoon Graphic of Fire in a Forest

Permits to Kindle Fire

"Every person, firm or corporation who kindles or causes to be kindled any fire or burns or causes to be burned any material, except when the ground is covered with snow, shall obtain a written fire permit from the Forest Fire Warden in the town or city where the fire will be kindled. Any person violating the permit law and it's provisions, and any person who willfully or recklessly kindles a fire that endangers woodlands, shall be guilty of a misdemeanor punishable by a fine up to $2,000 and/or up to one year in jail, or both."

-NH Department of Resources & Economic Development, Forest and Lands

How do I obtain a burn permit?

Simply call us, or come to the fire station Monday thru Friday 8:00 am to 3:30 pm, and one of our Deputy Fire Wardens can issue you a permit. Permits can also be obtained online.

How much does a burn permit cost?

There is no charge for a permit if you come to the station.  Online permits from the state website cost $3.00

What kind of materials can be burned with a burn permit?

Brush and wood cannot exceed 5 inches in diameter. No combustible domestic waste, treated wood or composite materials may be burned. RSA-125N defines "combustible domestic waste" as, but not limited to, household trash, packaging materials, plastics, coated or laminated papers, rubber, painted or treated wood, coated or treated cardboard, oily rags, and animal, vegetable, and kichen waste."

How old do I have to be to obtain a burn permit?

The permittee must be at least 18 years old to obtain a burn permit.

When and where can I kindle my fire?

A category 1 fire may be kindled with a permit at any time whether raining or not. A category 2 and category 3 fire may only be kindled with a permit between the hours of 5:00pm and 9:00am unless it is actually raining. The town of New Castle requires all kindled fires to be extinguished at midnight. In order to kindle a fire, the permitee must have written permission from the land owner.

How can I get more information about burn permits?

Feel free to contact our department Monday-Friday between 8:00 am and 3:00 pm to speak directly to a Deputy Fire Warden. You can also visit the NH Department of Resources & Economic Development, Forest and Lands on the web.