Park Rules & Regulations

  • Please respect the flora and fauna of the Common
  • Enjoy the natural beauty of the park - take only pictures

History

This property, comprising 32 acres on the ocean side of NewCastle, was once privately owned. Acquired in 1908 by the U.S. Government, it was used by the National Guard for a Coast Artillery unit. During World War II it became the Headquarters of the U.S. Army’s 22nd Regiment, Coast Artillery, Harbor Defenses of Portsmouth. Beginning in 1954 it was used by the U.S. Naval Retraining Command forr ehabilitation of prisoners about to be release from the Portsmouth Naval Prison. It was acquired by theTown of New Castle in 1963 and renamed Great Island Common, and has been used since as a recreational facility.

Hours of Operation

Open 365 days a year - 9:00 am to 9:00 pm

Admission Fee's will be charged between the hours of 9am - 6pm

Park Rules: Strictly Enforced

  • No climbing trees/peeling bark/breaking branches
  • Collecting of rocks, sand, shells prohibited
  • Carry in/carry out all trash
  • No alcoholic beverages
  • No open fires, grills allowed
  • No parking on grass (parking areas only)
  • No use of metal detectors in park (beach permitted)
  • No domestic animals in park from May 15th to September 15th
  • No glass containers
  • No chipping or driving of golf balls
  • No horse shoes
  • Stop and yield at all signs
  • No bouncy houses