Animal Control FAQs

Where is my dog brought if picked up by the New Castle Police Department?

The police department will check to see if your dog is registered in New Castle. If the animal does not have tags, we will temporarily hold onto the dog at the station. If we have not located the owner in a reasonable time, we will take the dog to Woodes Kennel located at 8 Exeter Rd. (Rt. 111) in North Hampton, NH (603) 964-8781.

Hours: Mon - Sat 8:00 am to 5:00 pm
Sun 8:00 am to 9:00 am / 3:30 pm to 4:30 pm

If the New Castle Police Department picks up a loose dog, it is generally brought to Woodes Kennels. If the dog has a license affixed to the collar (as required by State Law), officers may try to contact the owner before taking it into custody. If the dog is brought to the kennel, the owner will need to complete an animal release form at the police department first, before picking up the dog. If it is after business hours, the owner must wait until the next business day until the kennel is open. The dog owner may be subject to a summons, especially if there are prior offenses.

I have lost my pet, what should I do?

If you have lost your pet, you should contact the New Castle Police Department in case someone has reported it found. Also contact the New Hampshire SPCA. Their website has many tips for protecting and training your pet, as well as a bulletin board for lost/ found pets.

Does the New Castle Police Department pick up any animals other than dogs?

No. The New Castle Police will only pick up loose dogs. If you have lost a cat or other pet, you may still notify us in the event someone calls to report it found.

I have found someone's pet, what should I do?

If you find a loose dog, check to see if there is a New Castle dog license on the collar. You may call the New Castle Police to find out who the owner is. If you are unable to determine the owner, you may bring the dog to Woodes Kennels who will hold the dog until the owner calls. You may also hold the dog until the owner calls for it. Contact the police department so we are aware of where the dog is in case the owner calls.

If you find another type of pet, contact the New Hampshire SPCA.

What can I do about the dog next door that is left outside and continually barks?

If a dog barks for sustained periods of time more than ½ hour, or during the night hours so as to disturb the peace and quiet of a neighborhood, the dog owner is in violation of the dog ordinance. Excessive barking can be reported to the New Castle Police who will investigate. If this occurs during non-business hours the responding police officer will listen and if he hears the barking he will document it in a report and take what immediate action is necessary. The Animal Control Officer may issue the dog owner a violation notice and he will give the owner guidance in curbing nuisance barking. Subsequent complaints may lead to a court summons.

Where can I bring my injured animal for emergency treatment on a weekend or holiday?

Veterinary Emergency Center located at 15 Piscataqua Dr. in Portsmouth, NH (603) 431-3600

What should I do if I hit a dog with my vehicle?

You should remain on scene and call police. According to RSA 264:31, the driver of any vehicle who knowingly strikes a dog and fails to report the incident to the dog's owner or custodian or to a police officer as soon as possible, shall be guilty of a violation.

Animals in Parked Vehicles

Do not leave your animal in a vehicle while it is unattended. Unattended animals left in vehicles even with the windows partially opened are still subject to heat stress. When an animal breathes only hot air your pet can quickly suffer from brain damage and die from a heatstroke.

RSA 644:8-aa, states that:

  • It shall be cruelty to confine an animal in a motor vehicle or other enclosed space in which the temperature is either so high or so low as to cause serious harm to the animal.
  • Any person in violation of this section shall be guilty of a misdemeanor.
  • Any law enforcement officer or agent of a licensed humane organization may take action necessary to rescue a confined animal endangered by extreme temperatures, and to remove the threat of further serious harm.

If you suspect your animal's body heat becomes elevated you must lower his/her body temperature immediately! Get them to some shade and apply cool, not cold, water all over his/her body; apply ice packs or cold towels to only the head; Let him/her drink small amounts of cool water, or lick ice cubes or ice cream; Get your pet to a veterinarian right away.